Saturday, July 9, 2011

Loving the Joy found in a Kenyan Child.

I haven't really began to process everything that has gone on today. I feel like it may come later when I'm alone, and reflecting on the day.  Today was my favorite day.  And today was the most emotional day for me.  When we met the girls yesterday, it was awesome, but it didn't bring me to tears.  But today was another day, and today we went to the Veronica Home. 

The Veronica Home houses young children around 13 years and younger, most of them having HIV.  There are a total of about 11 or 12 children (though I'm pretty sure I saw much more than that today).  I fell in love.  These kids were so amazing.  As soon as we pulled up in our taxis, kids just started running right up to us giving us all hugs. Some kids instantly gravitated to the certain team members, and initially I wasn't really one of them - but I was ok with that.  I couldn't help but have my camera out the entire time, just snapping these small moments in time where a team member and a child would bond.  I just fell in love.  Did I say that already?  Well I did.  As a little time went by, kids started gravitating to me too.  But like everyone, you can't help but start to have 'favorites.'  You don't want to have a 'favorite'...but you just can't help but have your heart strings tugged by some of these kids.  The precious child I fell in love with is Stella.  Stella is 13 years old, but looks like she is 8 or 9.  She and her sister Lina live at the Veronica home, and from what I understand, their parents died from HIV, and after living with their grandmother for awhile, she eventually died from it as well.  Stella's sister Lina has HIV, though I'm not sure yet whether Stella does either.  But from what I understand, Lina contracted HIV from cleaning her grandmother's wounds.  My heart is broken for these girls. 

Me, Stella & Mary

After playing all day, getting the dirtiest I have probably ever gotten in my life, getting a million pictures, having lunch with the kids, having Stella attack my hair with her pick comb (this was scary!! lol), getting my nails...and fingertips painted with a bright pink by my little Stella, and watching in complete adoration as AJ played with the little kids...I just melted.  Then all the kids wanted to sing for us, so they all got together and sang us songs.  It was so beautiful!!!  When they were singing, I just broke down in tears - just so moved by their kindness, energy, and love for strangers they didn't know.  And the Joy!!  The Joy!!!  They have so much joy and happiness - I've never seen it before, not in any American child, not in any child really; but these kids have it. 

You can't see my face,...but I am VERY scared and IN PAIN while she does my hair!!  And, Holy Macaroni - I have A LOT of hair!! LOL
I also couldn't help but cry to see Stella, 13 years old, looking the age of my sister Faith, and yet knowing that one of the Shimo girls got pregnant at even younger than Stella.  It just breaks my heart.  It really does.  And you know, I asked Jesus to break my heart for the things that break his,....and I think he accomplished that.

Ok so I better go - people are waiting to get on to send e-mails to their family, and we have dinner almost ready here.

Here are some random pictures from the Veronica Home taken by other people's cameras (since I am always behind mine, we don't have too many of ourselves)




LOVE this!!! Lol


My eyes are closed, but I still like that we have one together. =)

Pictures from the Veronica Home:


Such a proud father!  He and his wife take care of all the orphans, as well as their own children at the Veronica Home.


Progress from before the guys started helping, and after the first day that they helped in building the school.


This is Stella and Mary. <3








Proud mother and wife, also heads up the Veronica Home with her hubby.

The kids singing for us.




Mmmm...chocolate!



No comments:

Post a Comment