Friday, July 15, 2011

TGIF!!

The countdown to the Chicken slaughter is just beginning.  I'm soooo not excited for this!  I wonder if it would be wrong to,...I don't know,...set them free? I suppose that may anger a few of the people here.  BUT it is certainly tempting!!  I still am not sure whether AJ has decided what he is going to do yet, if he will kill a chicken or not.  I think he's worried I will look at him different if he does,...but secretly I don't think he wants to. =)

Today AJ went to do construction again at the Veronica home building the school.  It sounds like the guys are getting pretty far on this.  Apparently though they plan on building dormitories as well, but unfortunately the money for that does not exist yet.  I think our plan is to give whatever money we have remaining tomorrow from all of your support to go towards that project.  There is so much need here, it's heartbreaking.  If the Lord happens to speak to your heart concerning anything happening over here that you may be reading in this blog, or the www.provinkenya.blogspot.com - that you may want to help support, then feel free to contact us by e-mail (clrewkowski@yahoo.com) and we can certainly talk about it or help guide you along the way of what you could do.

I decided to go back to the In-Step baby orphanage today.  I just love being around all the kids and spending time with them.  At one point I was outside of the baby house (a small room outside that holds a lot of the babies during the day for feeding and napping), and there was this little boy sitting in a chair that was holding his head in place and strapping him in.  His name is Anthony and he has cerebral palsy.  No one was really paying much attention to him, and so I couldn't help but just sit down in front of him to talk and play with him for a little while.  He loved to get his feet tickled and massaged, so he would start giggling and smiling every time I touched them.  Surprisingly his little tootsies were really cold when I touched them.  It gets pretty cold in the morning and evenings here, but this was the mid-afternoon where the hot sun really beats down on you.

Here are some pictures I took at In Step:




Uh Oh!




Look at those cheeks!!



This is sweet Anthony. =)



This adorable little boy has mental retardation.








After In-Step we came back to the compound to spend time with the Neema and Shimo girls.  They were still doing their work, but the Shimo girls brought their children with them today.  They were adorable! At first they seemed pretty frightened by all the white people, but eventually they really warmed up to us.

Here are some pics taken when we got back from In Step:




The team help the girls to make tye-dye shirts.





This is Janet - she is one of the ones who cooks for the girls everyday. 

This is Joanne - also one of the chefs for the girls.  I think I heard that she is a retired school teacher as well.  Needless to say, she is a RIOT! She loves to 'model' for the camera!









When the girls left we had a big BBQ outside.  In fact,...it's still going right now!  Erik (one of the Kenyan guys that work for TI) was grilling/roasting steak, goat, and pork.  We had salad with Ashley's delicious home-made croutons, pasta salad, roasted potatoes, cooked cabbage, chips that tasted like Doritos, and Ashley's homemade chocolate chip cookies - which were so yummy!!  It was great to have the comfort food that we would likely eat at home and take a break from all the potatoes, rice, cooked cabbage and beans.  I have to admit...I don't think I can take another bite of that food while I am here!

Tomorrow is our last day, and on Sunday we will head back to Nairobi.  The plan is to leave in the morning, arrive in Nairobi around dinnertime, stay the night in Nairobi, take a morning safari first thing Monday morning, get on our plane later in the afternoon, and arrive at the JFK airport by Tuesday morning, by noon - back to the church.  If I can, I will update tomorrow night before we leave.  Aside from the chicken murders happening here tomorrow...ahem...we will be going to spend the afternoon at the Veronica Home.  I'm so excited to see my Stella and Lina tomorrow!!  Till then....Goodnight! =)

PS. Sorry for all my spelling/grammatical errors in these blogs - I don't read over them before posting!  I know, I know...very unlike me! Gotta go now, going to go watch AJ play volleyball. =)  xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment