Saturday, July 16, 2011

Last day...

Our last day is officially coming to a close.  We still have a few days of travel left, but this will be our last night in Kitale.

We began the morning by going over to the Veronica Home until shortly after lunch.  You could tell that some of the team was starting to distance themselves somewhat from the children as we knew we would have to say goodbye, some for the last time.  It's so hard to answer a child when they ask if they will see you again, if you will come back,...and you simply do not know.  There were many tearful goodbyes as we started to load up the taxis to head back to the TI compound.  I hugged Stella many times before actually getting in the cab, but as I sat there, unable to operate my broken window to say goodbye for the hundredth time, I quickly opened the door to give her and another child just one last hug before we pulled away.  I think I put up a wall at that time, because no tears came, but I could feel my heart break just a little as I imagined this could be the last time that I may see her precious face.  I wish I could explain the pull at your heart when you encounter these kids with literally nothing,...and yet see how much joy and love that they have for you.  You can't help but be moved and changed by it.

Here are some photos from our day at the Veronica Home:

The progress made on the school so far by the end of the week...











I don't know what will happen when we get home.  I don't know whether I will go on with my life being complacent, or whether I will become more proactive and intentional about the suffering and caring of people. There was some talk this evening about what we will do now; what will happen when we get home.  One of the things I know I will try to do more of is to acknowledge people everywhere.  Instead of hanging my head down low and avoiding conversations, or people in general - I know that I want to step out of my comfortable shell and learn how to love in the biblical way that God calls us to; remembering that love is first a choice, not necessarily a feeling.  It will be a challenge, but it's a small step that isn't too overwhelming to push me away.


We also had to say goodbye to the Neema girls today.  We already said goodbye to the Shimo girls yesterday, but as I'm sure you can guess - more tears flowed from the team and the girls as we prepared for the Neema girls to leave this afternoon.  Before they left however, some murderous activities took place!  Many of the team members slaughtered chickens.  I decided to stay inside, but immediately regretted not putting on my headphones and listening to music as I began to hear shrieks and laughter coming from the team as they were killing the chickens.  I know it sounds crazy,...because I eat chicken and all, ...but honestly if I could be a vegetarian, I would!  It just so happens that I like meat too much, and vegetables too little!  Irregardless, it was still all pretty disturbing.  Thankfully AJ did not kill, nor watch this take place - he had a headache today so he was laying down during that time.  And, naturally, I did not eat the chicken either.  Just couldn't get that image out of my mind, so glorious pop-tart dinner for me it was.


I'm filled with so many emotions that I can't really process this trip and what I have seen or experienced.  So much of it just feels so surreal, and yet I know that as we journey home, and when we get home, things will rise to the surface begging to be dealt with.  There are no words that can bring a full reality to what life is like here.  I hear so many people say that you really need to experience it firsthand to understand; and they would be right.  I think it's easier for us, as Americans, to ignore or pretend that certain things don't happen in our world, and so we stay in our own little bubble of comfort and do not dare leave in fear that we may feel guilty or moved to do something; to essentially act on the injustices facing so many people in our world.


I'm going to go for now.  I will update on our travel, safari, and pictures when we get home.  Until then, we love you all and thank you so much for your support and prayers that made this possible for both of us.  Please continue to keep us in your prayers as we embark on our 2-day journey home. xoxo

PS - HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARRIE!!  =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment